Diagnostic tool is ok, but game does not launch

MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 20/11/2017 - 11:59
Hi,

I already posted this thread on the 25th of october in the game-related problems section, it was moved in this section, but I can't find it anywhere now, except in game-related problems as a "moved thread" with 0 view/replays... so I decided to post it again. Hope it's ok.

We just installed AoM and AoMT on a recent windows 10 pc (administrator session), and when trying to launch a game in the AoMT main lobby and eventhough "everything looks fine" as the Diagnostic Tool says (aomx.exe found in :C/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Age of Mythology + patch 1.03 installed), the game wouln't start. The screen goes 100% black with a visible mouse cursor (with a ****ty resolution) and the task manager says the program is not responding. We reinstalled the 2 games and it didn't change anything.

We tried to launch the game (with the CD) offline, just by clicking on the aomx.exe (as admin), and nothing comes up, not even the black screen.

We don't really know what the next step should be, so thx very much if anyone had any idea on how to solve this problem.

Thx again :)
Bağlantı | Yanıt | Alıntı
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Düzenlendi28/11/2017 - 09:53 tarafından +sunny@voobly
Apologies for the delay in responding to your thread.

This is basically a resolution mismatch issue. You can fix this by forcing your game to start in a lower resolution by adding a startup switch.

Right click on the shortcut file and choose properties. Change the target value to add the following at the end of the path. Do not forget to add a space at the end before you add the xres switch and the whole thing should still be wrapped in a pair of quotes ("")

xres=640

Once done, start the game and you can then change the resolution to the max supported by your computer.
 MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 03/12/2017 - 00:48
I'm sorry, I'm not used in this kind of stuff; I understand we have to add xres=640 at the end of the path, but I didn't understand what shortcut file you are talking about, hence what path you are referring to?

Thanks very much for your answer!
 kitt

Gönderildi 03/12/2017 - 23:22
hi
i would assume its the desk top short cut to your game.
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Düzenlendi04/12/2017 - 14:12 tarafından +sunny@voobly
Yes, it is the desktop shortcut to your game. Right click on the shortcut file on your desktop, go to properties and append xres=640 to the end of your existing target (right before the closing quotation). Once done, click 'Okay' and launch the game from that shortcut.

If you are still unable to get this working, copy the entire target path and paste it in here.
 MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 04/12/2017 - 16:35
Hello,

The target path is the following :
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe"

By adding xres=640 we get
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe xres=640"

We get the following error (translated from french, so may not be the exact same words as an english game would get) :
<<The name "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe xres=640" specified in the target path is not valid. Check that the path and the file name are correct.>>

Thank you again for your help!
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Gönderildi 05/12/2017 - 12:09
Try the following instead:
Quote:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe" :xres=640
 MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 17/12/2017 - 13:33
Sorry for the delay; it doesn't work either.
We tried several possibilities :
- launching the aomx.exe or the aomxnocd.exe (the latter being created by voobly, iirc?) directly from the aom folder;
- launching their shortcut file from the desktop.
We added :xres=640 (with a space before the colon) in each case : after the quotes for the shortcut files, or directly after aomx.exe or aomxnocd.exe (no quotes) when we were trying to launch from the aom folder. In this latter case (when launching aomx.exe or aomxnocd.exe from the aom folder) we get the standard error message "if you modify the file extension, it might be unusable". We do not get this error when modifying the shortcut files.

However, when we try to launch aom from the aomxnocd file (either itself or its shortcut), the intro cinematics do launch, but the screen goes black right afterwards, as in the other cases.

Thx again... :)
 MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 28/12/2017 - 11:07
Could someone give me a nice christmas present by helping me solve this issue? :D
Thx and merry christmas/happy new year to the voobly community (special thanks to the voobly staff)
 MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 16/01/2018 - 10:55
Hello,

I don't know if I should create a new thread with a message summarizing the issue; we're still running out of ideas. This is a bit frustrating because I am sure this is a ridiculously small problem...
Thanks for any help :)
 kitt

Gönderildi 16/01/2018 - 12:15
hi
pm this moderator, he may be able to help: BlackAdder_
 MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 16/01/2018 - 18:14
Done, thank you!
 +BlackAdder_

Gönderildi 16/01/2018 - 23:43
Looking at the description, it might just be not enabled Legacy Components in Win 10 - without that the game won't launch. If you haven't enabled that, follow these steps:

Right-click on Start and go Apps and Features->Programs and Features (on the right)->Turn Windows features on or off (left)->Find Legacy Components->check in DirectPlay and OK.

See if that helps.
 MC_Mouri

Gönderildi 20/01/2018 - 14:20
Hey,

Thx, but DirectPlay was already checked in; still, when a game is launched, the screen goes black right after the intro cinematics.
 TompXSupport

Düzenlendi29/01/2018 - 03:42 tarafından TompXSupport
Hey, try this.
1. navigate to the startup folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\startup)

2. Create a new text document in that folder and open it

xres=1920
yres=1080
+NoIntroCinematics

Paste this and change the numbers so it matches the resolution of your monitor. Mine is 1920x by 1080y

4. Save it in the folder as "All Files" and name is user.cfg . (Make sure you select All Files so it becomes a .cfg file.)

5. Now try starting the game.

Cheers,
-TompX

[1]2
1 15 arasından ilk 19 - 0 görüntüleniyor
Foruma Git:
1 Kullanıcı(lar) Bu sayfaya bakıyor (30 dakika içinde)
0 üye, 1 ziyaretçi